• A Timeline of the Indiana Area School District
     

    Circa 1776

    The first settlers arrived to the densely forested region that today encompasses Indiana Area School District.

    March 30, 1803

    Indiana County was formed from Westmoreland and Lycoming counties.

    1805

    Indiana, Pennsylvania was established as the county seat and was laid out on 250 acres of land given by George Clymer, signer of the Declaration of Independence.

    1807

    The citizens of the fledgling town retained Henry Coleman to teach fifteen students in one room of a building located on Water Street between Coulter and Nixon Avenues.

    1810

    The first school was built on Church street between 4th and Gompers.  Three teachers instructed in one room built of round logs and clapboards with greased paper for windows and a large fireplace at one end.

    1814

    The school location was moved to the northwest corner of Taylor and Nixon Avenues.

    1816

    The Indiana Academy Building was completed and the school was moved into one of its rooms.

    1826

    A committee of citizens successfully petitioned the county commissioners for land at the southwest corner of Water Street and what is now 6th Street.  The one-room brick building erected there was later purchased by the first Indiana Borough Board of School Directors and became the first public school building in Indiana.

    1834

    The passage of the Free School Act required teachers to pass examinations, each county to hire a superintendent, and tuition to be discontinued.  Prior to this, salaries for teachers had been raised by charging $4.00 to $6.00 per year for each pupil and teachers had boarded with the  pupils' families, often moving from family to family.  Various individuals also offered private instruction from their homes or churches.

    1837

    Another one-room brick school house was built at the northeast corner of Church and 5th Streets.  By 1853, both schoolhouses were overcrowded.

    1859

    A new school building of six rooms and a lecture room was built directly in front of the present location of Horace Mann Elementary School at a cost of $10,000 for land, building, and furnishings.  Enrollment:  326 elementary and high school students.  By 1880, enrollment had climbed to 462, necessitating half-day sessions.

    1895

    The Indiana And West Boroughs were consolidated, adding another building to Indiana Borough Schools.  The "West End School," later renamed Thaddeus Stevens, is now Uhler Hall on the IUP campus.  The building in front of current-day Horace Mann Elementary became "East End School."

    1905

    Overcrowded conditions forced the rental of one room in the Landis Building, downtown Indiana.

    1908

    A second room was rented in the Progress Building.  Indiana Borough Schools' enrollment was 398 in the eight rooms of the East End School; 378 in the eight rooms of West End School; 57 in the one room rented in the Landis Building; and 33 in the one room rented in the Progress Building.  Total enrollment: 866

    March 1908

    A The East End School building was replaced with a larger sixteen room building, now Horace Mann Elementary, at a cost of $76,539.39.  By 1914, this new building was crowded beyond capacity and a classroom was added to the basement.

    1925

    A new, separate Indiana High School for grades 7-12 was built at a cost of $409,000.77 at 245 North 5th Street.

    1928

    Indiana High was accredited by the Middle States Association.

    1930

    The first public kindergarten began.

    1949-1959

    Land was acquired and developed as an athletic field and administrative office two blocks north of the high school.

    1953

    Benjamin Franklin Elementary School, the district's largest elementary school, was built.

    1955

    Eisenhower Elementary was built after the old Thaddeus Stevens building was sold to IUP for $210,000.

    1963

    A new Senior High (grades 10-12) was built on the land two blocks north of its old site, which is now the Indiana Area Junior High School (grades 7-9).

    1965

    The Indiana Borough School District became the Indiana Area School District when White Township and Shelocta Borough's school districts combined.

    1967

    East Pike Elementary School was completed.

    1978

    Renovations to the Junior High completed.

    1986

    Renovations to Horace Mann completed.

    1991

    Renovations to the Senior High completed.

    1999

    Renovations to East Pike completed.

    2006

    Renovations to the Junior High completed. 

    2007

    Addition of new gymnasium and fitness facilities completed at the Senior High

    2011

    Grade reconfiguration through which 9th grade students enrolled at the Senior High and Indiana Digital Education Academy for Learning (IDEAL) cyber option first available to students for the 2011-2012 school year.

    2013

    Elementary school reconfiguration through which Ben Franklin and East Pike enrolled PreK-3rd grade students and Eisenhower and Horace Mann enrolled 4th-5th grade students.

     

    Early history has been compiled from: "Know Your Schools", Indiana County League of Women Voters, Indiana, Pennsylvania, 1977; Getts, Paul Robert, A History of Education in Indiana, Pennsylvania, Penn State University, 1965; Perry, Edgar C., Life in Our Indiana Public Schools, Indiana, Pennsylvania, 1953; Row, George, Indiana Borough School History, Indiana, Pennsylvania, 1881.